Sunday, January 19, 2014

Working in Produce

As I read the second section of Tracie McMillan's The American Way of Eating, I found myself relating to a lot of her retail experiences, and not just because she was in Michigan throughout those months.  I started working part time when I was sixteen as a grocery bagger at a small, Southwest Michigan chain (now owned by Spartan Stores) called Family Fare.  Eventually, I was promoted to produce clerk.  I LOVED working in produce, and I LOVED eating all of the expired stuff!  I ate a tomato and cucumber sandwich for lunch every day.  I bought a loaf of bread from the deli, picked up a bruised tomato (there were always bruised tomatoes!) and a cucumber, and sometimes grabbed an expired prepackaged salad to go with the sandwich.  One night, a customer dropped a 5 pound box of blueberries.   Some of the berries rolled onto the floor, so I took the package off the shelves and put it in the back room.  By the end of my shift, I had eaten at least three pounds of the remaining blueberries (after I cleaned the floors and rinsed off the rest of the package).  To be honest, I was sorry a few hours later, but fresh berries are still one of my favorite snacks. 

I worked a lot of different jobs from the age of 16 until I started teaching full time at just 22 years old.  During the school year, I was a bilingual tutor for Kalamazoo and Parchment public school districts.  During the summer (and over the holidays), I picked up lots of hours in the food industry.  I stocked produce and dairy for Family Fare for $5.25 an hour.  I worked overnights at Target, but that only lasted a few weeks.  Like Tracie, I found that the part-time overnight schedule made me miserable. 

6 comments:

  1. This is interesting. I my parents live vey close to a Hardings and I always wanted to work there because lots of my friends did. But I do believe that I too would take advantage of the expired food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have worked a lot in the food industry and I still am working in the food industry. As I am sure is common my experience in the industry has given me an incentive to improve my diet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it's awesome that you got to eat the expired fruit! Not saying that expired food is the best but at least it wasn't thrown out. You definitely put the fruit to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was astonished to read how much food was wasted at Walmart and I couldn't help but scream inside of my head wishing that it had instead been donated to a homeless shelter or something! On a side note, I went to Parchment schools so it's great to know that connection! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know about this side of your work history!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I enjoyed the part about you saying you ate the food when it expired... and the blueberries! I had two jobs for a while but currently I earn minimum wage working at a store at the mall. I'm looking for a second job but I'm concerned that It'll conflict with my already busy schedule... but at the same time, I've got to pay my bills :/

    ReplyDelete